When you hear the term “slip and fall” accident, you immediately assume that someone took a hard tumble on an icy pavement or a wet and slick floor. But the truth of the matter is that slip and fall accidents are extremely common and happen in a number of ways far beyond what you may expect.
A slip and fall accident attorney is likely to handle cases due to a number of different causes, some of which include:
- Loose or unstable gravel or dirt on a sidewalk or driveway
- Poor construction in a home, a public walkway or in a commercial building
- Tripping hazards as a result of accumulated debris in a common area of any kind
- Poorly lit areas in an apartment building, office building, a pathway or a common area
- Hazards due generally to poorly maintained walkways, stairs or other public areas
- Plumbing issues that have not been corrected by a landlord or building owner
- Hazards created by animals that have not been properly tended by their owners
You may be entitled to seek damages
Sometimes, you slip and stumble for no good reason. It just happens and there’s nobody to blame but yourself. However, many other times, the reason for your fall can be directly tied to the actions or non-actions of another party. When that is the case, you can seek compensation for pain and suffering, lost wages, medical bills and other possible expenses.
Proving negligence is the key
If you suspect that another person is at fault for your injuries, you can file a civil suit with the help of a slip and fall accident attorney. The key to winning this type of case is proving that the responsible parties were negligent and allowed the dangerous situation to exist. For example, a commercial building owner who allowed wet and slippery floors to exist can be held liable. Likewise, a property owner who knew that a stairwell was poorly lit or in substandard condition, to the degree that it posed a danger, may also be held accountable. The only caveat is that they must be both aware that the situation exists, and had an adequate chance to fix it.